The BIGTREETECH SKR Mini E3 V2 Board includes a working build of Marlin 2.0.x firmware for the Creality Ender-3. This comes pre-loaded on the SD card and can be used immediately following installation.
We do however recommend updating your firmware to the latest version, which has been pre-compiled and published on the BIGTREETECH Github page. This is actively maintained by their developers, who commit updates as needed.
Firmware Update Instructions
There are (3) versions of the Marlin 2.0 firmware available for download. Two are intended for use with BLTouch Auto Bed Leveling sensors, the third is for Ender-3 3D Printers that use the stock Z endstop switch.
The .BIN files are named accordingly and should be selected based on your needs. For most users, we recommend the standard firmware.bin file.
- Download the desired firmware BIN file to your computer.
- Rename the file to firmware.bin if it differs.
- Copy the file to the SD card included with the board.
- Power on the 3D Printer with the SD card loaded.
Once booted, it will sit at a blue screen for 15-20 seconds. During this time, the new firmware is automatically flashed to the board. After it has finished, it will load in to the idle interface and the new firmware is now loaded.
For users who wish to control their SKR Mini E3 V2 board via USB, it may be necessary to install additional drivers before a PC can recognize the device. These come loaded on Windows 10 by default, but are often missing from older versions of the operating system.
The Maple Drivers can be downloaded from the BIGTREETECH Github page at https://github.com/bigtreetech/BIGTREETECH-SKR-mini-E3/tree/master/firmware/mapleDrv-USBdriver
Cura Printing via USB
Cura 4.0 and later utilize an experimental plugin called USBPrinting, which has known compatibility problems with the SKR Mini E3 V1.2 board. It often results in the board crashing, screen freezes and loud chirping noises. To fix this problem...
- Locate the Ultimaker Cura 4.x folder, often found at C:\Program Files
- Navigate to the sub directory Plugins\USBPrinting
- Open the file AutoDetectBaudJob.py using Notepad or another text editor
- Comment out the following lines by placing a # symbol in front of each (as shown below).
# serial = programmer.leaveISP()
# except ispBase.IspError:
Save the changes to the file and restart the Cura software. This should resolve the problem with USB connections on the SKR Mini E3 board.